Android 5.0.1 for Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (CM12 based Nightowl ROM)

Its indeed a very good news for Galaxy Note fans. The first device in the Note series i.e. GT-N7000 gets Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. Its really a sweet surprise for Note fans like me. This excellent work is done by XDA Developer Bauner. Three cheers to him for giving Galaxy Note 1 (GT-N7000) a new life !!!
Bauner has recently merged 5.0.1 related changes to the ROM. This Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM is CM12 based and still is in alpha stage. The current build of the ROM is Alpha 7.1 and is still in experimental stage. This means you can expect bugs and some functions not yet working. 
Even though in experimental stage, its really smooth and fast. Also battery life is really nice.


My Experience about the ROM

I would like to share my experience about this rom. I am very happy with Alpha 7.1 version. Phone is working smooth and fast. Battery life is also good. Below is what I did during the installation,

1) Go to Recovery. I was having CM11 installed so it was CM11 based CWM recovery.
2) Wipe Data
3) Wipe Cache
4) Wipe Dalvik Cache
5) Format System
6) Format Data
7) Format Cache
8) Flash Alpha 7.1
9) Flash GApps

10) Flash Bauner's CWM Recovery ready kernel. Its very important step to get working CWM Recovery. The link to download this recovery is,

http://www.mediafire.com/?k36izdwm6jqizg1
This link is present on one of the posts from Google+ Page of the ROM.


11) Reboot into Recovery. I got prompt for Fix Root Permission. I said yes to fix the issue. Recovery started again.
 
12) Now reboot system. It will take around 15 to 20 minutes during first boot. So please be patient.
 
13) I first thought memory might create issues but I did not get any issues related to SD Card (internal or external memory).


Now something about issues which I faced

==========================
1) Video Recording not working
==========================
According to XDA post, I installed OnePlusOne camera apk and then installed VLC media player from Play Store. Video recording working ok now for me. Below is the post from this thread which helped me...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=932

======================
2) Continuous Reboots.
======================
I was facing Continuous REBOOT issues. I logged in to google account and installed apps from playstore too. All was working good. Then I switched off my phone for around 10 minutes. When I started the phone back following issues started,

a) pressing the power button reboots the phone.
b) screen timeout was set to 30 seconds. Once 30 seconds are over, phone automatically reboots. In short, continuous reboots.


The solution for this issue is present on one of the posts from Google+ Page of the ROM. Below is the solution...


you need to only let wifi on for moment if you've decided to reboot, after you've reboot, you can wait for few second > then lock your screen > unlock back > turn off wifi > you'll done, no more reboot.


==========================================
3) Internal SD Card Not shown under storage settings
==========================================
I first thought Internal SD Card is inaccessible as I could not find that under settings. But it was not the case. ES File Explorer correctly detected that. I was even able to transfer data to desktop and copy data from desktop to internal and external SD Cards for my phone.


Screenshots








I am now using the ROM since last 2 days without any issues. It feels like I will be using it as a daily driver soon. Thanks to Bauner for such amazing work. Three cheers !!!

  • For complete information about the ROM, visit the below thread from XDA Developer forums:-

  • Google+ Page of the ROM also has user experiences and issues fixes. Do check this out too.
Android 5.0.1 for Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (CM12 based Nightowl ROM) Android 5.0.1 for Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (CM12 based Nightowl ROM) Reviewed by Nikhil Bhalwankar on December 18, 2014 Rating: 5

No comments:


Powered by Blogger.